Monday, August 22, 2011

A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies

A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies
Release date: September 27, 2011
Published by: Harper Collins
Received from: Netgalley

On the night of Skye's seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites--like fire and ice--Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye's life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move--only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.

In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can't help falling for, and Devin, who she can't stay away from, the consequences of Skye's choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.


Summary from goodreads.com

Yes, another fallen angel book. You might be thinking right now, "Been there, done that!" WAIT! This takes the whole fallen angel thing to a completely different level! I really enjoyed Davies' take on angels. She kinda leaves the whole God/heaven/hell thing out of it and just takes angels and expounds on their beauty, strength, and power. Seriously...these angels will make you want one all for yourself! I'd love to curl up in some feather-winged boy of my own!

A few things I loved about this book:
-It's set in gorgeous Colorado. Okay...so it's like 110 degrees at my house right now. I totally felt like I got to go on vacation to the snowy Rockies where you have to layer your clothes and wear boots and drink coffee and hot chocolate to keep warm! This was a welcome relief from the heat!!!
-No lie...I wanted to squeeze the secondary characters. I know Twilight is so...like...2008, but remember how you felt about Bella's friends at school...that's how I felt about these characters.  Oblivious to what's going on around them...but awesome all the same.
-The love triangle rocks.  Okay, at first I kinda felt like...these guys are really weird.  But they grew on me!!! And just when I felt like I loved one of them more, the other would do something that had me melting!  And their hatred for each other makes it all the more juicy!
-The ending puts the shock in shocking...that's all I'll say about that...

I definitely recommend this book. It's a nice easy read that will make you wish you were snowed-in so no one could stop you from reading beginning to end in one sitting!