Sunday, August 21, 2011

Descended by Blood by Angeline Kace


Descended by Blood (Vampire Born #1)
by Angeline Kace
Release date:  August 26, 2011
Published by: Accendo Press
Received: from the author for review
Reviewed by: AmyG (big sis)

Summary from goodreads.com

Brooke Keller is a high school junior who has never spent much time living in one place. She is finally in a town long enough to almost snag the boy of her dreams, until her life is threatened after killing a fanged man in his attempt to kidnap her. Brooke begins a dangerous journey in an effort to find out who is after her and how to stop them. In a world with powerful and prejudiced vampires, Brooke must tap into the side of her that she never knew existed at the risk of losing her life in order to save it.


I must say that ever since the big Twilight craze I have shied away from vampire books.  Not that I didn't like them, I was just vamp'd out!  However, after reading this book, I realized that maybe I need to start giving Vampires a 2nd chance!  If you are a fan of Morganville Vampires series, Bluebloods, and the Evernight series then this will be right up your alley!

Descended by Blood has it all, teenage drama, steamy love triangle, supernatural powers, paranormal beings, lots of action, and big mysteries!  The characters in the book are actually real teenagers.  In many of the YA novels, the characters seem more like 30 year olds trapped in a teenage body.  They are dealing with real adolescent issues and crazy teen emotions.  With that, they can be aggravating  at times, but it was refreshing to see a correct portrayal of the teenage mind.  I kept thinking, "I remember feeling just like this when I was a teenager!"

The love triangle has that impossible choice between the hunky, sweet jock or the new, mysterious paranormal guy that swoops in to save the day.  Honestly the best of both worlds!  Even after reading the book, I honestly don't know who she will pick!  I definitely have my favorite, but my lips are sealed!  You'll have to read the book!

This book has a very interesting story and back story.  At points I got a little bogged down in the back story and the terminology, but the story is worth it if you keep going.  I'm anxious to see what happens in the coming books.  The world is interesting and has some of the same old vampire adages, but also many new aspects that kept me wanting more.  It has a crazy, killer of an ending!  Angeline left me satisfied with a few of my questions answered, but enough mystery to keep me wanting more!  Why oh why do we always have to wait for the 2nd novel!!!  I guess good things come to those who wait!!!